Tuesday, January 13, 2009

House of Dark Shadows: Review

Title: House of Dark Shadows
Genre: Young Adult
Publisher: Thomas Nelson


I recently finished House of Dark Shadows by Robert Liparulo published by Thomas Nelson.
The protagonist of the novel is a fifteen year old boy named Xander. He is not happy about moving from L.A. where he and his friends are budding film directors, to a sleepy small town with his family. His father has just found a new job as a principal at a local school which precipitated the move. They settle in a hotel and start looking for houses. They immediately find one they like, an old Victorian that is well below their price range. The only problem is that someone was murdered there thirty years before! Of course, now there will be ghosts and bumps in the night, right? Well, in the house there are passages that lead to other places like the linen closet that leads to the school, but there is also an attic with a long hallway of doors that lead to other times and places like the Colosseum in ancient Rome.

This is a very enjoyable, quick read that is spooky and a little bit scary. I finished it in a night because I did get so wrapped up in the story and wanted to find out what was going to happen. There is a cliffhanger at the end which drives me a little crazy. It is nice to see some kind of resolution even it there is a sequel to the book. I did go out and buy the sequel so the cliffhanger did work. It is perfect for the middle school crowd; of course, I am an adult who thoroughly enjoyed it too!

1 comment:

Sherry said...

Those passages sound just like my dream I posted that I used to have over and over. Weird.